12 DRUMMERS DRUMMING
Wolfgang’s Tip: For a fun kick-off to the holiday season, offer guests a selection of succulent goodies in a dim sum drum. Each drum is a food-filled surprise for the senses. Follow Wolfgang’s philosophy and start the holidays off right by sharing great food with others.
- Assorted Potstickers
- Spring Rolls
- Pair with Henriot “Souverain Blanc”, Champagne, France NV
11 PIPERS PIPING
Stay warm throughout the holidays with cozy desserts and drinks while sitting by the fire with family. Wolfgang’s Tip: Get into the holiday spirit by baking desserts that fill the house with the sweet smells of Christmas.
- Piping Hot Christmas Apple Pie
- Serve with Holiday Wassail
10 LORDS A-LEAPING
Give Dad a chance in the kitchen! Wolfgang’s Tip: For a meal to satisfy all the lords in attendance, choose filling items and pairings sure to please any man’s appetite.
- Roast Prime Rib of Beef with Garlic Herb Crust
- Pair with Neal Family Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, California 2004
9 LADIES DANCING
Appetizers are a great way to start off any holiday event, from cocktail parties to dance parties. Wolfgang’s Tip: Entice your loved ones with cocktails and small bites to keep them satisfied while they dance the night away and enjoy the festivities of the holiday season.
- Pork Belly en Croute
- Mini Prime Cheeseburgers with Remoulade and Aged Cheddar
- Serve with Gingerbread Martini
- Serve with Holiday Sangria
8 MAIDS A-MILKING
Decorating the house for the holiday season can be somewhat time-consuming. Wolfgang’s Tip: One-pot dishes that are quick and simple to prepare will give you plenty of time to decorate but still have some culinary flair.
- Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- Pair with C. Donatiello Chardonnay, Russian River Valley, California 2008
7 SWANS A-SWIMMING
The holiday season is typically filled with rich turkey and ham dishes. Wolfgang’s Tip: Mix things up for your family and friends with dishes on the lighter side. Choose a dish that is simple to prepare, with a healthy twist.
- Provençal Salmon with Tomato Basil Sauce
- Pair with Monpertuis Châteauneuf du Pape Blanc, Rhône Valley, France 2008
6 GEESE A-LAYING
Looking for fun, easy ways to satisfy the whole family on Christmas or New Year’s morning? Wolfgang’s Tip: Create a family style brunch for everyone to enjoy in celebration.
- Smoked Ham Hash
- Pistachio-Crusted Vanilla French Toast
5 GOLDEN RINGS
In Wolfgang’s words, “good food sets the stage for entertaining.” Wolfgang’s Tip: For a stylish start to any evening, pop a bottle of champagne and serve elegant hors d’oeuvres prior to an intimate, formal dinner. Make sure to serve these hors d’oeuvres on gold-inspired platters to follow the evening’s theme.
- Potato Pancakes with assorted smoked fish and caviar
- Pair with Champagne
4 CALLING BIRDS
Wolfgang’s Tip: To guarantee that you have a perfect sauce for your dish, stir a spoon through the sauce or soup, and then lift it out of the liquid. It should be thick enough to leave a film on the surface of the spoon.
- Duck Breast with Port Wine
- Pair with St. Innocent Pinot Noir “Seven Springs”, Willamette Valley, Oregon 2006
3 FRENCH HENS
For the holidays, there is nothing better than a beautiful table and great food that will put a smile on everyone’s face. Wolfgang’s Tip: Serve your holiday dinner family style on colorful, festive platters that spread the holiday spirit.
- Chicken with Tomato Fondue
- Pair with Emmolo Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley 2009
2 TURTLE DOVES
Bring the family together for dinner and enjoy a hearty meal guaranteed to wow your guests. Wolfgang’s Tip: Cook vegetables briefly in boiling water, then cool them quickly by plunging in ice water. This will bring the taste to its peak while also bringing out the bright colors, adding beautiful, natural color to the table.
- Roasted Turkey Two Ways
- Green Beans in Fresh Butter
- Potato Purée with Truffles
- Pair with Rudi Richler Grüner Veltliner “Federspiel”, Wachau, Austria, 2007
AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE
For a festive finale to your holiday celebration, provide guests with stunning traditional desserts. Wolfgang’s Tip: For this dish, serve it hot or cold, directly from the dish, with some petit fours.
- Glacéed Pears with Champagne Sabayon
- Selection of favorite family recipes
With these tips and recipes from Master Chef Wolfgang Puck, you’ll have more time to spend with family and friends during this holiday season. Please note, many quotes and recipes listed in this round-up can be credited to Adventures in the Kitchen, Wolfgang Makes It Easy, and Modern French Cooking; and recipes and images are available upon request.
# # #
This holiday season, Master Chef Wolfgang Puck shares his effortless entertaining expertise with holiday menus featuring simple yet elegant dishes with beverage pairings. From cocktail parties to Christmas dinner to a festive brunch, Wolfgang guides cooks of any level through twelve themed recipes, time-saving tips and techniques to celebrate this season with his philosophy, Wolfgang’s Eat, Love, Live ™ (WELL™).