Jump to navigation
Garlic Lamb and Vegetable Spring Rolls
2 tablespoon s
mushroom soy sauce
2 teaspoon s
coarsely ground lamb meat from leg or shoulder
4 tablespoon s
2 tablespoon s
minced green onions
crushed red pepper flakes
cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
2 ounce s
rice noodles, soaked in water for 20 minutes
4 ounce s
shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
medium carrot, peeled and julienned
red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
chiffonade basil leaves
package egg roll wrappers
Peanut oil, for deep frying
egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Combine the sugar, soy, garlic, cornstarch, and orange zest in a large bowl, add the lamb and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When the wok is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil and heat until just smoking. Add the ginger, garlic, green onions, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry until fragrant, around 30 seconds.
- Add the seasoned lamb and stir-fry until well browned, about 5 minutes. Deglaze with the rice wine and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer to thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Drain the rice noodles after soaking, roughly chop and set aside. Wipe out the wok with a clean cloth or paper towel and place over high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil and heat until just smoking and then add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and bell pepper, stir-frying until the vegetables are softened, but still crisp, about three minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the heat and cool.
- Mix together cooled vegetables, lamb and reserved noodles and add basil, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
- Prepare egg rolls. Remove one egg roll wrapper from package, keeping rest covered with a damp cloth. Place 1 egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with 1 point facing forward so that the wrapper is in a diamond shape. Brush all of the edges with egg wash and place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling about 1/3 of the way up the wrapper. Fold the point over the filling; fold in the sides and then roll up, pressing to seal. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. When preparing ahead, dust with cornstarch to keep skins dry before frying.
- Preheat 3 inches of peanut oil in a deep pot to 360 degrees F. Fry the egg rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve rolls whole as an appetizer or cut in half diagonally and arrange on plate with appropriate garnishes. You can stand the halved rolls by cutting a small piece off either end with a serrated knife to make a flat surface. Serve with Sweet Chili Scallion Dipping sauce.