- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 2 3/4 2.75 2.75cups CUP_USVolumepastry or cake flour
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumesugar plus additional to sprinkle on top
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeplus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 10 10tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumechilled unsalted butter, cut into 2 tablespoon-pieces
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeheavy cream plus additional to brush on top
- 2 2 2pints PINT_USVolumefresh strawberries, stemmed
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumesugar
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumelemon juice
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumekirsch
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeorange zest
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumesweetened whipped cream
- Prepare the shortcake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt with a few on/off turns. Add the chilled butter and process just until combined. With the motor running, pour the cream through the feed tube, stopping just before the dough forms a ball.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead, forming a smooth ball. Do not overwork. Roll out the dough to a round 3/4 inch thick. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 circles. (Knead the scraps together and reroll as required.)
- Arrange the 8 circles on the prepared baking tray, brush the tops with cream and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the cakes are golden and firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain the strawberries. Cut each berry into thick slices and toss with the sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, kirsch, and orange zest, and gently mix. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, split each shortcake in half and warm slightly.
PresentationFor each serving, place the bottom half of the shortcake on a dessert plate. Spoon about 1 cup of ice cream on the cake, arrange a scant cup of strawberries over and around the ice cream, and top with the remaining half of the cake. Add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on the side of the plate and serve immediately.
Wine RecommendationI love a slightly sweet dessert wine with my shortcake and nothing compares to a good Sauternes. Ask your wine shop what they have and experiment. My favorites include Chateau Suduiraut and Chateau Climens.
Strawberry shortcake is usually prepared with whipped cream, but I prefer serving it with ice cream. The strawberries surrounding the cakes can be replaced with blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or a combination of all of the above.