CRISPY SHRIMP OR CALAMARI WITH CHINESE NOODLES AND SPICY GARLIC SAUCE
- Oil for deep-frying
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumepeanut oil
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolume(4 ounces) sliced Double-Blanched Garlic (See separate recipe)
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumesugar
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumerice wine
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumerice wine vinegar
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeplus 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 4 4 4ounces OUNCE_USVolumecarrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into julienne (about 1 cup)
- 4 4 4ounces OUNCE_USVolumeharicots verts, trimmed, blanched, and refreshed (about 1 cup)
- 4 4 4ounces OUNCE_USVolumegreen onions, trimmed and cut into strips (about 1 cup)
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumeVietnamese chili sauce
- 12 12 12ounces OUNCE_USVolumefresh Chinese egg noodles or thin spaghetti
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightlarge shrimp, cleaned and tails removed, or, 1 pound calamari, cleaned and cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumeflour, or less
- 1/4 .25 .25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesesame oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. In a wok or deep, heavy saucepan, heat about 3 inches of peanut oil. (The oil must be very hot, about 375 degrees F.)
- Make the sauce: In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of peanut oil. Over medium-high heat, sauté the garlic just until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the sugar and continue to sauté until the garlic begins to caramelize, 1 or 2 minutes longer. Deglaze the pan with the rice wine, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce. Add the carrots, haricots verts, and 2 ounces of the green onion, reserving 1 ounce as garnish. Stir in the chili sauce and continue to cook until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, add salt to the boiling water and cook the noodles until they are al dente. Drain the noodles well and stir them into the sauce until they are well coated.
- Season the shrimp or calamari with salt and pepper and toss with the flour to coat lightly. Deep-fry the shrimp or calamari in small batches until golden, 1 or 2 minutes. (The easiest way to do this is to use a fine-mesh basket or strainer. Place the shrimp or calamari in the basket and gently ease the basket into the oil.) Drain on clean paper towels.
PresentationDivide the noodles and vegetables among 4 large warm plates. Arrange the shrimp or calamari over and around each portion and garnish with the remaining green onions. Drizzle a little sesame oil over the noodles and serve immediately.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE