GARLIC LAMB AND VEGETABLE SPRING ROLLS
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumebrown sugar
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumemushroom soy sauce
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumechopped garlic
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumecornstarch
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeorange zest
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightcoarsely ground lamb meat from leg or shoulder
- 4 4 4tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumepeanut oil
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced ginger
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced garlic
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced green onions
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumecrushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1 1ounce OUNCE_USVolumerice wine
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumecornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 2 2 2ounces OUNCE_USVolumerice noodles, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 4 4 4ounces OUNCE_USVolumeshiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
- 1 1 1small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1 1medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 1 1red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumechiffonade basil leaves
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumesesame oil
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumesoy sauce
- 1 1 1package egg roll wrappers
- Peanut oil, for deep frying
- 1 1 1egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Combine the sugar, soy, garlic, cornstarch, and orange zest in a large bowl, add the lamb and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When the wok is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil and heat until just smoking. Add the ginger, garlic, green onions, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry until fragrant, around 30 seconds.
- Add the seasoned lamb and stir-fry until well browned, about 5 minutes. Deglaze with the rice wine and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer to thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Drain the rice noodles after soaking, roughly chop and set aside. Wipe out the wok with a clean cloth or paper towel and place over high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil and heat until just smoking and then add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and bell pepper, stir-frying until the vegetables are softened, but still crisp, about three minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the heat and cool.
- Mix together cooled vegetables, lamb and reserved noodles and add basil, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
- Prepare egg rolls. Remove one egg roll wrapper from package, keeping rest covered with a damp cloth. Place 1 egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with 1 point facing forward so that the wrapper is in a diamond shape. Brush all of the edges with egg wash and place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling about 1/3 of the way up the wrapper. Fold the point over the filling; fold in the sides and then roll up, pressing to seal. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. When preparing ahead, dust with cornstarch to keep skins dry before frying.
Preheat 3 inches of peanut oil in a deep pot to 360 degrees F. Fry the egg rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve rolls whole as an appetizer or cut in half diagonally and arrange on plate with appropriate garnishes. You can stand the halved rolls by cutting a small piece off either end with a serrated knife to make a flat surface. Serve with Sweet Chili Scallion Dipping sauce.
Note: Makes 10 hors d'oeuvres servings
ABOUT THIS RECIPE