LOBSTER WITH SWEET GINGER
- 1 1 1piece fresh ginger, approximately 1- inch
- 2 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 0.75 0.75cup CUP_USVolumeplum wine
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumerice vinegar
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumepeanut oil
- 1 1 1(2-pound) lobster split lengthwise
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 4 4 4scallions cut into 3/8 inch slices
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeteaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumedry white wine
- 1/2 0.5 0.5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumechili flakes
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumefish stock, recipe follows
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumecream
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumebalsamic vinegar
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Fried spinach leaves, see separate recipe
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Peel the ginger, reserving the peels, and cut into fine julienne strips. Cut the peels into coarse strips and set aside.
In a small saucepan, cook the ginger and garlic with a 1/2 cup of the plum wine and the rice vinegar until 1 tablespoon of liquid remains. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Place a heavy heatproof 12-inch skillet over high heat until it is very hot. Add the oil almost to the smoking point. Carefully add the lobster halves, meat side down. Cook for 3 minutes. Turn the lobster over and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Continue to sauté the lobster shells until they are red and the butter is a nutty red. Transfer the lobsters to the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the lobster is just cooked. Remove from the oven, remove the lobster from the skillet and keep warm.
Add the scallions, ginger peels and curry powder to the skillet. Saute the mixture lightly for 15 seconds, then whisk in the remaining plum wine, white wine, stock, chili flakes and the vinegar. Reduce the liquid to about a 1/2 cup. Add the cream and reduce by half, then whisk in the 1 tablespoon of butter. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Crack the lobster claws with the back of a large chefs knive.
PresentationArrange the lobster half on a warm oval platter, meat side up. Strain the sauce over the lobster, and then sprinkle the sweet ginger on top. Garnish with fried baby spinach leaves.
This dish will dazzle your guests and make you look like a superstar in the kitchen. The flavors are strong and complex. When you present the lobster you can either place it on individual plates or on a large platter for family style? It’s the type of dish that you reserve for a really important night.