HEARTY POTATO & CHEDDAR WITH BACON SOUP
- 1/4 0.25 0.25pound POUNDWeightsmoked sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumebutter
- 2 2 2small leeks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 1 1large onion, chopped
- 1 1 1carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 1 1clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumeflour
- 6 6 6cups CUP_USVolumechicken stock
- 3 3 3pounds POUNDWeightIdaho potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightVermont Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 0.33 0.33teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1/4 0.25 0.25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefresh ground pepper
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeheavy cream
- In a large saucepan cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add butter and melt.
- Add leeks, onion, carrots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in chicken stock.
- Add potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook partially covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir in about a quarter of the hot soup, mixing until smooth. Return cheese mixture to saucepan.
- Gradually stir in heavy cream, salt and ground pepper. Continue to heat soup until almost boiling.
PresentationGarnish with thinly sliced scallions or chives and crumbled bacon
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
This classic winter soup combines the hearty flavors of cheddar cheese and bacon in a thick soup. It should be served with chunks of warm French Bread in front of an open fire.