BRAISED RED CABBAGE
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumepeanut oil
- 1 1 1medium red onion, sliced
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumebrown sugar
- 2 2 2Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumered wine vinegar
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumered wine
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumeorange juice
- 1 1 1cinnamon stick
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumedry ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 4 4pounds POUNDWeightred cabbage, cut into julienne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a heavy casserole over medium high heat. Add peanut oil. Sauté the red onion until translucent. Sprinkle in brown sugar and cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to caramelize.
- Add sliced apples and deglaze with the red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil. Add red wine and orange juice, cinnamon stick, ginger powder and salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add red cabbage and continue to cook for about 10 minutes on top of the stove.
- Cover cabbage with foil and cook in 350 degrees F. oven for about 45 minutes. Remove. Taste, and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
PresentationA few gold leaves for decoration (optional - available at specialty stores)
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
This is an old family dish that offers a wonderful combination of flavors in the cabbage. This is an ideal recipe for a crowd, especially as a side dish for a winter holiday occasion.