- 12 12 12medium potatoes, peeled
- 3 3 3cups CUP_USVolumeheavy cream
- 3 3 3cloves garlic (2 of them minced)
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1/2 0.5 0.5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefreshly ground pepper
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumecrème fraîche
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumegrated Swiss cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Slice the potatoes 1/8 inch thick. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, cream, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Place in a large casserole dish and cook in a bain-marie, or a roasting pan filled with sufficient water to come half way up the sides of the casserole dish, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the potatoes are just tender. Remove from oven.
Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
Rub a large gratin dish with the remaining clove of garlic and spread with 1/4 cup of crème fraîche. Pour in half the potatoes. Spread with remaining 1/4 cup crème fraîche, add remaining potatoes, and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Set gratin dish in a bain-marie (or the roasting pan filled with water) and place in the hot oven until the potatoes are brown (about 15 minutes).
PresentationServe from the gratin dish.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
This hearty but elegant dish is the ideal accompaniment for roast lamb or any grilled meat.