BRUNCH PIZZA WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS AND SMOKED SALMON
- 6 6 6ounces OUNCE_USVolumePizza Dough, recipe follows
- Chili Garlic Oil, recipe follows
- 4 4 4large eggs
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumemilk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeolive oil
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumegrated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumegrated Fontina cheese
- 2 2 2ounces OUNCE_USVolumesmoked salmon, sliced very thin
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumesalmon roe, optional
- 1 1 1package active dry or fresh yeast
- 1 1 1whole head garlic (about 2 1/2 ounces, cloves separated and peeled)
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumehoney
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumewarm water, 105 to 115 degrees F
- 3 3 3cups CUP_USVolumeall-purpose flour
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumekosher salt
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeextra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumeextra-virgin olive oil
- Place a pizza stone on the middle rack of the oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch or roll out the dough to an 8-inch round. Place the dough on a pizza peel that has been dusted with flour or semolina (you can also place on a cookie sheet). Lightly brush the surface of the dough with the chili oil. Place on the pizza stone and bake until the bottom begins to turn golden brown, but the pizza is not cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Place a nonstick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add the olive oil and butter and cook until the butter is melted. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the eggs are slightly set, but still fairly undercooked, about 4 minutes. The eggs will cook further in the oven so it is important not to overcook them. Remove from the heat and remove from the pan to stop the cooking.
- Spread the eggs on the pizza dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Scatter the mozzarella cheese and Fontina cheese evenly over the eggs. Return to the oven and cook just until the cheese melts and is bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and transfer to a firm surface. Arrange the smoked salmon slices over the surface of the pizza, covering completely. Garnish with the chopped chives and salmon eggs.
In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4 cup warm water.
In a food processor, combine the flour and the salt. Add the oil, the yeast mixture, and the remaining 3/4 cup of water and process until the mixture forms a ball. (The pizza dough can also be made in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix on low speed until the mixture comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl and starts to climb up the dough hook).
Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and knead by hand 2 or 3 minutes longer. The dough should be smooth and firm. Cover the dough with a clean, damp towel and let it rise in a cool spot for about 2 hours. (When ready, the dough will stretch as it is lightly pulled).
Divide the dough into 4 balls, about 6 ounces each. Work each ball by pulling down the sides and tucking under the bottom of the ball. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Then on a smooth, unfloured surface, roll the ball under the palm of your hand until the top of the dough is smooth and firm, about 1 minute. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let rest 1 hour. At this point, the balls can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Yield: dough for 4 small pizzas
Chili and Garlic Oil
In a small saucepan, combine the garlic cloves and olive oil and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer until the garlic begins to turn brown, 10 to 15 minutes. (Do not let the garlic get too brown or the oil will have a bitter taste.)
Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Add the red pepper flakes and infuse for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Refrigerate in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.
Yield: about 2 cups