FILLET OF BEEF IN PUFF PASTRY WITH SAUCE BEARNAISE
- 6 6 6tournedos, 6 ounces each (fillet steaks, 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 6 6 6tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 2 2 2shallots, minced
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightmushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 4 4tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeheavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 2 2pounds POUNDWeightpuff pastry (See separate recipe)
- 1 1 1egg with 1 tablespoon of water, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 1 1 1recipe sauce béarnaise (See separate recipe)
- In a large skillet, over high heat, sauté tournedos in 3 tablespoons butter for 30 seconds on each side. Set aside to cool completely.
- In the same skillet, with the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, cook shallots and mushrooms until all liquid evaporates. Add cream, salt, and pepper. Reduce over moderate heat to a thick purée. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Divide pastry into six portions. On a lightly floured board, roll out each portion to a rectangle approximately 6 by 12 inches and 1/4 inch thick. Place each tournedos on one side of a pastry rectangle, leaving enough room to fold over.
- Top each tournedos with mushroom purée. Brush edges of the pastry with egg wash and then fold it over and shape it to the contours of the meat. Cut away excess pastry and decorate as desired. The recipe can be prepared ahead to this point.
- Glaze the tops of the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake the tournedos 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
PresentationArrange each tournedo on a heated plate and garnish with watercress. Nap the sauce béarnaise around the tournedo.
Wine RecommendationA Gevrey-Chambertin, Chambolle-Musigny, or Vosne Romanee all offer the great depth and flavor of Burgundy, essential qualities to partner a classic dish like this beef. If you would like a less expensive wine, then a Californian Pinot Noir, like Chalone or Etude would be a good choice.
A classic, elegant entrée for a formal dinner party, this is a variation on Beef Wellington. There’s something very adventurous about giving each guest their own package which remains a mystery until they open it right on their plate. Because most of the preparation can be done early in the day, you will be able to spend more time with your guests and less in the kitchen.