MANDARIN STEAK SALAD
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumefresh lemon juice
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumewine vinegar
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumefresh orange juice
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeorange or mandarin marmalade
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeminced ginger
- 1 1 1clove garlic
- 1/2 0.5 0.5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefreshly ground white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumeextra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumerice wine vinegar
- 1/3 0.33 0.33cup CUP_USVolumealmond or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumedark sesame oil
- 1 1 1medium shallot, chopped
- 1 1 1(1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 2 2(8-ounce) New York steaks
- 6 6 6large fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed off and discarded
- 4 4 4cups CUP_USVolumemixed salad greens
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 1 1 1large shallot, minced
- 1/2 0.5 0.5pound POUNDWeightfresh shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- Prepare the Mandarin Marinade: In a saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil, and reduce over low heat to 1/2 cup. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in the olive oil and reserve.
- Prepare the Ginger Vinaigrette: In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients and correct the seasonings to taste, as necessary. Reserve.
- Preheat a grill.
- Brush the steaks with some of the Mandarin Marinade and season them with salt and pepper. Brush the whole shiitake caps with some of the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks to medium-rare and set aside in a warm spot. Grill the mushrooms until they are soft and set aside.
- Toss the salad greens with the reserved Ginger Vinaigrette, adding any collected meat juices to the dressing, and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter until it is foamy. Add the shallot and the sliced shiitakes and sauté for several minutes, until the shallot is translucent and the mushrooms have given up most of their liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mound the salad greens in the center of 4 dinner plates. Slice the steak thinly on the diagonal and fan the slices around 1 side of the greens with the grilled mushroom caps. Arrange the sautéed mushrooms decoratively on the opposite.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
A classic from the menu of the old Spago Hollywood, this salad works equally well as a summer barbecue main course or a winter appetizer. The New York steaks can be replaced by flank steak, which is also very tasty