- 2 2 2pounds POUNDWeightchestnuts
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumeonion, finely chopped
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeport wine
- 3 3 3cups CUP_USVolumechicken stock
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeoil
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumebutter
- salt and pepper
- Heat a heavy saucepan. Add the oil, butter, and chopped unions. When onions turn slightly brown, deglaze with port wine. Add thyme, chestnuts, chicken stock, and a little salt and pepper. Cover and cook until chestnuts are tender and the chestnuts have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Serve as whole braised chestnuts or pass through a ricer and make a wonderful chestnut purée.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Braised chestnuts with onions and wine may be served whole as a side dish or riced into a puree.