SERVIETTEN KNUDEL (NAPKIN DUMPLING)
- 6 6 6ounces OUNCE_USVolumebutter
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced garlic
- 1 1 1medium onion, minced
- 1 1 1loaf white bread, crust trimmed
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced marjoram
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced chives
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced parsley
- 1 1 1egg, lightly beaten
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumemilk
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a sauté pan, over medium high heat, melt the butter. Cook the garlic and onions until translucent. Do not allow to develop color.
- Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven to dry, about 20 minutes. Do not allow to develop color. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the onion mixture all over the bread. Add the marjoram, chives and parsley. Toss to evenly distribute the herbs with the bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk. Add to the bread mixture. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap, roll and secure the ends, shaping like a large sausage. Wrap with a layer of aluminum foil.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add salt. Add wrapped dumplings and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from the water and unwrap. Slice into 1-inch disks.
PresentationServe with Chicken Paprika (See separate recipe) or Goulash.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
A traditional Austrian side dish, best served with Chicken Paprika or Goulash.