CHILI AND GARLIC OIL
- 1 1 1Whole head garlic (about 2 ½ ounces, cloves separated and peeled)
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumeExtra virgin olive oil
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeRed pepper flakes
- In a small saucepan, combine the garlic cloves and olive oil. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a bare simmer and cook until the garlic turns golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Keep a close watch: If the garlic gets too dark, the oil will have a bitter taste.
- Let the oil cool, then stir in the red pepper flakes. Leave at room temperature for at least 2 hours to let the flavors blend. Strain the oil into a clean glass container, cover, and refrigerate.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Brush this flavorful oil on pizza dough or blend it into pasta dough. It can also be used for sautéing ingredients to toss with pasta. The oil will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.