COLD PAELLA SALAD
- 1 1 1small whole chicken (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumeextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightlarge shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 .5 .5red onion, diced
- 5 5 5cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1 1 1red bell pepper, cored, de-veined and diced
- 1 1 1green bell pepper, cored, de-veined and diced
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesaffron
- 1/2 .5 .5pound POUNDWeightchorizo, sliced
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumetomato paste
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumerice
- 4 4 4cups CUP_USVolumechicken stock or water
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightmussels, cleaned and beards removed
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumefrozen peas, thawed
- Fresh Herb Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. Add oil to a large, heavy, oven-safe skillet and heat over high heat. When oil is almost smoking, carefully add chicken to pan and sear until almost cooked through; remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add shrimp to oil and sear until almost done; remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add more oil if needed, reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add saffron and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chorizo and brown for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until the rice is well coated, about 1 minute. Add stock, cooked chicken and shrimp, mussels and peas.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with the vinaigrette and refrigerate until ready to serve. If serving at room temperature, refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving and then bring to room temperature.
Note: Serves 6-8
ABOUT THIS RECIPE