ACQUA PAZZA WITH SEA BASS AND CLAMS
- 8 8 8tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeolive oil
- 1 1 1large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumetomato concassÚ (peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1/4 .25 .25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumecayenne pepper
- 1 1 1Generous pinch of saffron threads
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightlittleneck clams, rinsed several times and drained
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightblack mussels, debearded, rinsed several times and drained
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumedry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 2 2Italian eggplants, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 1 1green zucchini, end trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 1 1yellow zucchini, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 10 10 10basil leaves, chiffonade (see tips)
- 4 4 46-ounce sea bass fillets
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumebutter
- 1 1 1red bell pepper, cored, seeded, 1/4-inch dice
- 4 4 4tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeBasil Oil, (see separate recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a sautÚ pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cook the onions and garlic until soft and glossy, just beginning to brown. Add the tomatoes, cayenne and saffron, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the clams, mussels and white wine. Cover and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Uncover and remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- In another sautÚ pan, over high heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil. SautÚ eggplant slices until lightly browned. Add green and yellow zucchini. Cook another 1 minute, just until heated. Add 1 tablespoon of chiffonade of basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Season sea bass fillets with salt and pepper. In another sautÚ pan, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Sear fillets, meat next to the bone side down first, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer pan to oven and continue to cook another 4 minutes. Transfer to burner, turn fillets. Add butter and baste.
PresentationSpoon 1/4 of the tomato sauce on plate. Place 1/4 of the sauteed vegetable slices in the center and top with a piece of sea bass. Garnish with diced bell pepper and remaining chiffonade of basil. Drizzle Basil Oil (see separate recipe) around edge of tomato sauce.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE