SPRING PEA SOUP
- 2 1/2 2.5 2.5pounds POUNDWeightshelled fresh English peas or defrosted frozen peas (7 cups)
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeolive oil
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumebutter
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumefinely chopped white onions
- 1 1 1quart QUART_USVolumechicken stock
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumeheavy whipping cream
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumekosher salt
- 1/4 .25 .25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumewhite pepper
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumehoney
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumelemon juice
- Heat a nonreactive pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. When the butter is foaming, add the onion, turn the heat to low, and cook slowly until the onion is translucent and very tender, 5 to 10 minutes. (Don't allow the onion to brown; it will discolor the soup.)
- Add the stock, cream, salt, pepper, and honey and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to high, add the peas, and boil rapidly for 2 minutes, or until the peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat and puree with either an immersion blender or carefully in batches in a blender until smooth. Strain the puree into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, adjust the seasonings, and garnish with baby peas before serving.
- Note: Do not let the soup sit on the stovetop for too long; it will slowly discolor. If you do not plan on serving it right away, place the pot in an ice bath to cool down as fast as possible to retain the beautiful green color. Reheat and add the lemon juice just before serving, or serve cold.
PresentationSet aside 1/3 cup of peas for garnish.
Chef's TipsYou can use the same method to make green asparagus soup. I love the thin, intensely flavored pencil asparagus. I just chop them finely and use them in a place of the peas. You will need 2 1/2 pounds chopped fresh asparagus.
Although I think of this gorgeous, sweet green soup as a Spring soup to be made during that small window when English peas hit our farmers' markets, you can, in fact, make it at any time of year with frozen peas, which also have a wonderful sweet flavor.