- 6 6 6ounces OUNCE_USVolumeunsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 1/2 1/2cup CUP_USVolumesugar
- tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumesugar
- 1/4 1/4 1/4teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumevanilla extract
- 1 1 1large egg, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 1 3/4 1 3/4cup CUP_USVolumeall purpose flour, sifted
- cookie-cutter and extra flour as needed
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the sugar, salt, and vanilla. Cream on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs and beat on low speed for 15 seconds, or until fully incorporated. Do not overbeat. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- On low speed, add the flour. Beat until all the flour is incorporated. Scrape down, mix for 15 seconds, or until you have an even dough.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment, roll it out 1/4 inch thick and freeze it at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Adjust the racks to the lower third of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- When the dough has chilled, carefully peel off the parchment and place the dough on a work surface dusted lightly with flour. Because it holds its shape in the oven, sugar cookies make a great cookie-cutter cookie. Dip the cookie-cutter in flour as needed. Once on the baking sheet, the cookies can be decorated with colored sugars or candy sprinkles or dusted with granulated sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges, reversing the trays front to back halfway through the cooking. Remove from the oven and carefully slide the parchment onto a work surface. Wait at least 5 minutes before serving. Cut-out cookies can be iced after baking.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE