BERRY SABAYON GRATINEE
- 8 8 8egg yolks
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumesugar
- 1 1 1vanilla bean
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeMoscato d'Asti or other sparkling wine
- pinch salt
- 3 1/2 3.5 3.5cups CUP_USVolumefresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, or sliced strawberries
- Powdered sugar
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape the seeds with the back side of a pairing knife and add to the egg yolk mixture. Whisk until combine. Add the wine, a little at a time, and whisk to combine. Add a pinch of salt and whisk again.
- Set bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk vigorously and constantly until the sauce is thick and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place 1/2 cup berries in the bottom of 6 shallow individual gratin dishes or ovenproof bowls. Spoon an even amount of the sabayon over each dish. Sprinkle the remaining berries evenly over the dishes. Place the dishes on a sheet pan and place on the top shelf of the oven under the broiler. Broil until the sabayon is golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
This dessert is one of my favorites. The sabayon literally melts in your mouth and the sparkling wine flavor makes it an elegant ending.