GRILL-BAKED CHERRY CRUMBLE
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightfresh sweet cherries, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 1/2 1/2cup CUP_USVolumesugar
- 1/4 1/4 1/4cup CUP_USVolumeall-purpose flour
- 1/8 1/8 1/8teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefreshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 1/2 1/2teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumegrated orange zest
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeorange-blossom honey, warmed in small microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds
- 1/2 1/2 1/2cup CUP_USVolumebottled cherry juice
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumefresh lemon juice
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumebalsamic vinegar
- 9-12 9-12 9-12ounces OUNCE_USVolumepremade crispy cookies, coarsely crumbled
- whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
- Prepare fire in outdoor grill. Remove stems from cherries. With cherry pitter, pit cherries, taking care to remove them all. Put pitted cherries in large mixing bowl.
- In small mixing bowl, stir together sugar and flour. Pour over cherries. Add pepper, orange zest, and honey. Mix thoroughly, using cleans hands or large spoon.
- Add cherry juice, lemon juice, and vinegar. Mix thoroughly. Spread mixture evenly in heavy-duty baking dish large enough to hold cherry mixture in shallow layer.
- With clean hands, evenly sprinkle crumbled cookies over entire surface of cherry mixture.
- Cover grill and cook until liquid has thickened and mixture is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove from grill. Spoon into individual dishes, top with whipped cream, and garnish with cherries.
Bake a fresh cherry crumble on the grill in just a quarter of an hour? That sounds like it might be difficult to do, doesn't it? But Spago Pastry Chef Sherry Yard makes it easy thanks to a simple, clever twist that may have you wondering why you didn't think of it. You can prep the cobbler well in advance, making the filling mixture up to 2 days ahead and refrigerating it in a covered nonreactive container. Then, after your main dish comes off the fire, just top it and cook it. (If you're short on grill space, you could also bake it in a 325°F oven.)