- 1 1 1quart QUART_USVolumemilk
- 1 1 1vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 8 8 8eggs, separated
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumesugar
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumedark rum
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumevanilla extract
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumesliced almonds
- In a large, wide saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla bean to a simmer.
- To make the Meringues: In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Scoop up several large serving spoonfuls and poach on the simmering milk, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on serving plate. Repeat until all the egg whites have been used.
- To make the Crème Anglaise: In another large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until light and ribbony. Add the warm milk to the egg yolk mixture and return to the saucepan. Cook, over low heat, stirring constantly without letting it come to a boil, until mixture thickness and coats back of spoon. Strain and flavor with rum and vanilla extract. Ladle Crème Anglaise around poached meringues.
To make the Caramel: In a small saucepan, cook the remaining 1 cup sugar until caramelized, stirring constantly. Stir in the almonds. Turn off heat, being careful not to burn the caramel.
Serves 4 to 8, makes about 8 meringues
PresentationCarefully spoon caramel over the meringue.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE