CHINOIS MINCED GARLIC CHICKEN IN RADICCHIO CUPS Recipe
- 3/4 0.75 0.75pound POUNDWeightuncooked chicken meat, white or dark, ground
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumecornstarch
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumesoy sauce
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumepeanut oil
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumerice wine vinegar
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumesesame oil
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesherry wine vinegar
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumedensely packed spinach leaves, thoroughly washed and patted dry
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumejulienned celery
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumejulienned carrots
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumejulienned onion
- 8 8 8whole radicchio leaves (8-12 for 4 servings), soaked for 15 minutes in ice water
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumefinely chopped garlic
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumefinely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 3 3green onions, trimmed and minced
- 1/4 0.25 0.25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumedried red chili flakes
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumerice wine vinegar
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumeplum wine
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumechicken stock
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumechopped fresh mint or cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together the ground chicken and cornstarch. Season lightly with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon each of the soy sauce and peanut oil with all the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and sherry wine vinegar. Add the spinach, celery, carrot, and onion, and toss and season with salt and pepper to taste. Using 2 large or 3 small radicchio leaves for each serving, arrange them into 4 cuplike shapes on a large serving platter or individual serving plates. Divide the julienned vegetable salad mixture among the cups and set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil over high heat until it just begins to give off wisps of smoke. Form the chicken into 1 large patty and carefully set it in the pan. Let it brown on 1 side, then add the garlic, ginger, green onions, and chili flakes, breaking up the patty with a wooden spoon to combine it with the seasonings and continuing to stir until the chicken is browned. Pour in the rice wine vinegar, plum wine, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and the stock, and continue cooking and stirring until most of the liquid has evaporated. Correct the seasoning to taste with a little more salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Divide the chicken mixture equally among the radicchio cups. Sprinkle with the chopped mint or cilantro and serve immediately.
Look in the Asian foods section of a well-stocked supermarket, or in a Chinese market, for the few special ingredients you'll need to make this favorite from my Chinois restaurants, a beautiful variation on the classic Chinese minced squab in lettuce leaves.