CHINOIS PANCAKES Recipe
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumeflour
- pinch salt
- 1 1 1egg
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumesesame oil
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumemilk
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumeminced fresh ginger
- 1 1 1clove garlic, minced
- 1 1 1scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 6 6 6small scallions, cut in half
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, egg and sesame oil. Whisk in the milk, then unless your batter is completely lump free, strain into another bowl. (The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream). If the batter is too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get the desired consistency.
Stir in the ginger, garlic and scallion.
Heat the butter in a non-stick crepe pan over moderate heat. Add 2 tablespoons batter, then swirl the pan to coat the bottom with batter. Cook the pancake over high heat until golden brown. Turn it over and brown the other side. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat the process until all the batter is used.
These pancakes are designed as the accompaniment to Chinese Duck with Plum Sauce. (See separate recipe.) But there's no reason why you canít serve them with all kinds of things - roast chicken, grilled meat or even steaks. Be adventurous! Have fun!