BEEF STEW WITH WINTER VEGETABLES Recipe
- 2 2 2pounds POUNDWeightbeef chuck
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumeall-purpose flour
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeKosher salt
- 1/4 0.25 0.25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefreshly ground pepper
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeoil
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 1 1 1large onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 2 2 2large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumedry red wine
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumebeef stock or beef broth
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumebalsamic vinegar
- 1 1 1bay leaf
- 6 6 6fresh large sage leaves, washed and dried
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightbutternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 0.5 0.5pound POUNDWeightparsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 2 2medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- 1/2 0.5 0.5pound POUNDWeightRoma tomatoes, cored, blanched, peeled seeded, and diced.
- Cut the beef into 1-inch cubes.
- On a piece of waxed paper or in a plastic food storage bag combine flour, salt and pepper. Toss beef cubes in flour mixture to coat or place beef cubes in food storage bag and shake until beef cubes are coated with flour mixture.
- In a wide, heavy saucepan, heat the oil. Brown beef cubes on all sides, removing from pan as browned.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Deglaze with red wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of saucepan. Return the meat to the pan. Add stock, vinegar and bay leaf. Cover and let simmer 1 hour.
- Cut the sage leaves into a chiffonade (see cooking tips) and stir into sauce with the butternut, squash, parsnips, carrots and tomatoes. Cover and let simmer 20 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf and correct seasonings.
There’s nothing more comforting and delicious on a cold winter day than a big, steaming bowl of beef stew. This is a simple recipe, easy to prepare, and creates a delicious combination of beef and winter vegetables. I like to serve mine with a large plate of garlic mashed potatoes (see separate recipe).