WOLFGANG'S HEARTY BEEF BOLOGNESE SAUCE Recipe
- 6 6 6tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightlean ground beef
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1/4 0.25 0.25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefreshly ground black pepper
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumeminced shallots
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeminced garlic
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumedry red wine
- 5 5 5pounds POUNDWeightRoma tomatoes, cored, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumetomato paste
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumesugar
- 1 1 1bouquet garni made up of 2 sprigs each rosemary, basil, parsley,1 sprig oregano, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 1 1medium onion, finely diced
- 1 1 1medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 1 1medium celery stalk, finely diced
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumechicken stock
Instructions for Wolfgang's Hearty Beef Bolognese Sauce Recipe
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add ground beef and sauté until browned, breaking up the large chunks of meat as they cook. Season with salt and pepper. Add shallots and garlic, continue cooking for about 3 more minutes or until shallots are soft.
- Add red wine and deglaze pan, reduce until almost all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and bouquet garni. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion, carrot and celery. Sauté for about 4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Add sautéed vegetables along with chicken stock to meat sauce and simmer for another 30 minutes until meat sauce is rich and thickened. Season to taste, if necessary.
NOTE: Beef bolognese sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated in a covered container for 2 to 3 days in refrigerator or frozen for up to 3 months.