HEARTY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP Recipe
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeolive oil
- 2 2 2leeks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 1 1large onion, chopped
- 2 2 2celery stalks, diced
- 1 1 1large clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 0.33 0.33cup CUP_USVolumeall-purpose flour
- 8 8 8cups CUP_USVolumechicken stock, divided
- 2 2 2medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightsmall white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1 110-ounce bag frozen pearl onions
- 2 2 2large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless and cut into thin strips
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1/2 0.5 0.5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumedried tarragon
- 1/2 0.5 0.5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeground white pepper
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeheavy cream
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeWater
- 3/4 0.75 0.75cup CUP_USVolumeflour
- 3/4 0.75 0.75teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumebaking powder
- 1/2 0.5 0.5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumebutter, chilled
- 1 1 1large egg
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumemilk
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumefreshly chopped parsley
Instructions for Hearty Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- In large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks, onion, celery and garlic. Cook for about 7 minutes or until just soft. Stir in flour; cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly taking care not to brown the flour.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in 6 cups chicken stock. Add carrots, mushrooms, pearl onions, chicken, salt, tarragon and white pepper. Return stockpot to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables and chicken are tender.
- Meanwhile, in separate shallow saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring remaining 2 cups chicken stock and 1 cup water to a boil.
- To make dumplings: In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. With a pastry blender or fork cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse meal. In small bowl whisk together egg, milk and parsley; stir into flour mixture until a dough forms.
- Using a greased teaspoon gently place rounded teaspoons of dough into simmering broth. Cook for about 7 minutes or until well-risen and cooked through. Reserve in a small amount of broth until ready to serve.
- Stir heavy cream into chicken soup mixture and adjust thickness of soup by adding remaining cooking liquid from dumplings. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Add cooked dumplings to soup and over medium heat return to almost boiling. Serve immediately.
Carefully ladle into warmed soup bowls and arrange dumplings on top. Sprinkle generously with freshly chopped parsley.