HEARTY POTATO & CHEDDAR WITH BACON SOUP Recipe
- 1/4 0.25 0.25pound POUNDWeightsmoked sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 0.25 0.25cup CUP_USVolumebutter
- 2 2 2small leeks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 1 1large onion, chopped
- 1 1 1carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 1 1clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 0.5 0.5cup CUP_USVolumeflour
- 6 6 6cups CUP_USVolumechicken stock
- 3 3 3pounds POUNDWeightIdaho potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightVermont Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 0.33 0.33teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1/4 0.25 0.25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefresh ground pepper
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeheavy cream
Instructions for Hearty Potato & Cheddar with Bacon Soup Recipe
- In a large saucepan cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add butter and melt.
- Add leeks, onion, carrots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in chicken stock.
- Add potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook partially covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir in about a quarter of the hot soup, mixing until smooth. Return cheese mixture to saucepan.
- Gradually stir in heavy cream, salt and ground pepper. Continue to heat soup until almost boiling.
Garnish with thinly sliced scallions or chives and crumbled bacon