WOLFGANG'S SPRING ROLLS Recipe
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumefresh ginger, chopped
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumegarlic, chopped
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumegreen onions, chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumepeanut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumeonions, julienned
- 1 1 1medium carrot, julienned
- 4 4 4ounces OUNCE_USVolumeshiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, sliced into julienne
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumered bell pepper, julienned
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumegreen cabbage, julienned
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumepeanut oil, for stir-frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 4 4ounces OUNCE_USVolumeglass noodles, soaked in water for 10 minutes, chopped into smaller strands
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumemushroom soy sauce
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumechili paste
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeAsian sesame oil
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumecilantro, chopped
- 1 1 1package wonton wrappers
- 1 1 1egg with 1 Tbsp. each of water and cornstarch, beaten together for eggwash
- Peanut oil, for deep-frying
- Hot Chinese Mustard Sauce (see separate recipe)
- Prepare the aromatic mixture: In a food processor, combine the ginger, garlic, green onions and red pepper flakes. Turn on machine, slowly add oil and process mixture to a puree. Cook mixture in a small saucepan over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling: In a wok or heavy skillet, stir fry mushrooms in peanut oil for 30 seconds, then add remaining vegetables and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in noodle, mushroom soy sauce, chili paste, sesame oil, and cilantro. Add aromatics mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool completely. When ready to form the spring rolls, squeeze out all the excess liquid.
- To make the spring rolls, place about 1/4 cup of prepared filling per wonton wrapper. Place filling as per directions alongside. Roll the wrapper, tuck ends in, and complete as if wrapping a parcel. Seal edges with the eggwash. Repeat the process until all filling is used.
In a heavy deep saucepan, heat oil to 350 degrees F. and deep fry spring rolls, 3 or 4 at a time until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Note: Makes 20 to 24 rolls
Forget about the greasy, tasteless spring rolls you once tasted from the take out restaurant. These are wonderful, crisp, fresh-tasting morsels that look a lot more complicated to make than they really are. I find them a lot of fun to put together and people are often amazed that you are able to master an Asian cuisine!