CALZONE WITH ARTICHOKES Recipe
- Pizza dough (See separate recipe)
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeextra-virgin olive oil
- 2 2 2large artichoke hearts, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumefresh porcini, sliced if large
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumechile oil
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumegrated Italian Fontina
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumegrated mozzarella
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumechopped garlic, blanched
- 3 3 3teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumechopped fresh thyme, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter, melted
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumefreshly grated Parmesan
Instructions for Calzone With Artichokes Recipe
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Preheat the oven with a pizza stone to 500 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Place a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the olive oil and when it is hot, sauté the artichoke hearts and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour off any excess oil and let the vegetables cool.
- Roll or stretch the dough, 1/4 at a time, into 9-inch circles. Place the dough circles, one at a time, on a lightly floured wooden peel. Brush the circles to within 1-inch of the edge with chili oil. For each calzone, put 1/4 of both cheeses on half of the dough, still leaving the 1-inch border. Top with 1/4 of the artichokes and mushrooms, the garlic and the thyme. Assemble the remaining calzones in the same way.
- Moisten the edges of the circles with water. Fold the un-topped half of the dough, trapping as much air inside as possible, over the filling and press the edges together firmly to seal. With the backside of a fork, press the edges of the dough to crimp them.
Slide the calzones onto the pizza stone and bake about 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Brush the calzones with melted butter and sprinkle them with Parmesan.
Makes 4 calzones.