POI BLINI WITH SMOKED SALMON Recipe
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeall-purpose flour
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumebaking powder
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumechopped fresh chives
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumechopped fresh parsley
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumechopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumebuttermilk
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumemilk
- 1 1 1egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumemelted unsalted butter
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumepeeled, steamed, and mashed taro root
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumecrème fraiche
- 6 6 6tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumelemon juice
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumechopped shallots
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumechopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1/2 .5 .5tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeblack pepper
- 2 2 2ounces OUNCE_USVolumethinly sliced smoked salmon
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeikura (salmon roe)
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumedaikon sprouts
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumemicro greens (tiny mixed salad greens)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- First, make the Dill Creme Fraiche. In a nonreactive mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- For the Poi Blini, in a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, fresh herbs, and salt. Stir in the buttermilk, milk, and egg. Fold in the melted butter and the mashed taro. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- To make the blini, heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spoon the batter onto the griddle 2 tablespoons at a time to form 3-inch pancakes and cook them until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side, flipping them over when bubbles appear on the top. You should have a total of 16 blini.
Put 2 poi blini on each serving plate. Spread them with the crème fraiche. Drape smoked salmon over each pancake. Garnish with ikura, daikon sprouts, and micro greens, then drizzle lightly with olive oil. Serve immediately.
Note: Serves 6 to 8
The little Russian buckwheat-flour pancakes known as blini are a traditional platform for serving smoked salmon. At Spago Maui, we include in the blini batter some pureed taro root—the traditional poi of Hawaiian luaus—which gives the pancakes a delicious earthy flavor.