WHISKEY FUDGE CAKE Recipe
- 1 1/4 1.25 1.25cups CUP_USVolumepastry or cake flour
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumebaking soda
- 10 1/2 10.5 10.5ounces OUNCE_USVolumebittersweet chocolate, cut into small chunks
- 12 12 12tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolume(6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 1.25 1.25cups CUP_USVolumesugar
- 4 4 4cage-free eggs, separated
- 333/1000 .333 .333cup CUP_USVolumewhiskey or brandy, warmed slightly
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumevanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set an 8 x 2-1/2-inch ring* on it. Wrap an 8-inch cardboard round with foil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a double boiler or a metal bowl placed over simmering water, melt the chocolate. Reserve warm.
Meanwhile, with the paddle of an electric mixer, cream the butter until light. Gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue to cream until fluffy. (It is important that this mixture is light and fluffy).
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, the whiskey or brandy, and the vanilla. Stop the machine and scrape in the melted chocolate. Continue to mix until well combined. Remove the bowl from the machine and fold in half the flour mixture. Fold in the remaining flour.
- With a clean whisk and bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to whisk until shiny and firm, but not stiff. Stir 1/4 of the whites into the batter to lighten, then, fold in remaining whites.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake ring and bake for 1 hour. Invert immediately onto the foil-covered cardboard round and run a sharp knife around the sides of the cake, loosening the cake from the ring. Do not remove the ring from the cake. Let cool completely on a rack. Then, carefully lift off the ring.
*Rings can be purchased online or at a good baking supply shop.