GRATIN DAUPHINOIS Recipe
- 12 12 12medium Organic Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 3 3 3cups CUP_USVolume(24 oz) Heavy organic cream
- 3 3 3Cloves garlic, peeled, 2 minced, 1 cut in half
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeSalt
- 1/2 1/2 1/2teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeBlack Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 1/2 1/2cup CUP_USVolume(4 oz) Crème fraîche
- 1/2 1/2 1/2cup CUP_USVolume(4 oz) Organic Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (180°C). Bring a tea kettle or saucepan of water to a boil.
- With a sharp knife, cut the potatoes crosswise into slices 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the potatoes, cream, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- In a baking dish, arrange the potato mixture in an even layer.
- Place the casserole inside a roasting pan.
- Pull out the middle shelf of the oven. Place the roasting pan on the shelf.
- Carefully pour into the roasting pan enough of the boiling water to come half way up the side of the baking dish.
- Carefully slide the rack into the oven, taking care not to slosh the boiling water.
- Bake until the potatoes are tender enough to be pierced easily with the tip of a skewer, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Carefully remove the roasting pan from the oven.
- Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil.
- Rub the inside of a large gratin dish all over with the halved garlic clove.
- Spread half of the crème fraîche in the dish.
- With a large spoon, spread half of the prepared potatoes in the dish.
- Distribute the remaining crème fraîche on top, then the remaining potatoes.
- Sprinkle evenly with the Swiss cheese.
- Put the gratin dish into the baking pan, put the pan on the oven rack, and carefully pour boiling water into the pan to come half way up the side of the gratin dish.
- Slide the rack into the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and formed a golden-brown crust, about 15 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the potato gratin from the dish onto individual serving plates.
To serve, spoon the potato gratin from the dish onto individual serving plates.