SMOKED GOUDA AND PROSCIUTTO PANINI Recipe
- 2 2 2slices sourdough bread, each about 1 inch thick
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeextra-virgin olive oil or melted unsalted butter
- 2 2 2ounces OUNCE_USVolumethinly sliced smoked Gouda cheese
- 2 2 2ounces OUNCE_USVolumethinly sliced prosciutto
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumethinly sliced red onions
- 2 2 2slices tomato
- 1 1 1ounce OUNCE_USVolumeshredded fontina cheese
- Preheat a panini maker, double-sided electric grill, or a grill pan or heavy skillet.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil or butter. On one of the slices, evenly assemble the sandwich layers: smoked Gouda, prosciutto, onions, tomato, fontina, and the second bread slice.
- Place the sandwich in the panini maker, double-sided grill, or on the grill pan or skillet; close the machine or place another heavy pan on top of the sandwich in the pan or skillet. Cook until the sandwich is crisp and golden on both sides; if it is being cooked on the stovetop, carefully lift off the top pan and use a spatula to flip over the sandwich to crisp the other side. Serve immediately.
A panini maker adds extra ease to the preparation of this simple, delicious sandwich, though you can also cook it in a skillet or grill pan weighted down with another heavy skillet or in a double-sided countertop electric grill. The pressure exerted on the sandwich helps it develop a very satisfying crustiness. If you like, you can serve panini such as this cut into squares as appetizers for an informal party.