DUTCH ONION SOUP Recipe
- 4 4 4sweet onions or large yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumevegetable oil
- 2 2 2stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumeport wine
- 6 6 6cups CUP_USVolumebeef broth
- 2 2 2sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 2 2bay leaves
- 1/4 .25 .25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeground black pepper
- 12 12 12slices French bread (about 1/4-inch-thick)
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumegrated Gouda cheese (about 6 ounces)
Instructions for Dutch Onion Soup Recipe
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 20 minutes or until they're golden brown, stirring often. Add the celery and cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the port, broth, thyme, bay leaves and black pepper to the saucepot, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Heat the broiler. Place the bread slices onto a baking sheet 2 at a time, making 6 pairs in all. Sprinkle each pair with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Broil 4 inches from the heat until the cheese is melted. Divide the soup among 6 bowls. Top with the bread and cheese.