MUSHROOM SOUP Recipe
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightfirm white mushrooms, cleaned
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced shallots
- 1/4 .25 .25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumedried thyme
- 1/2 .5 .5bay leaf
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumesalt
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefreshly ground pepper
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumeheavy cream
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumechicken stock
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumecornstarch
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeminced parsley
Instructions for Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with lemon juice. In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, and lightly sauté the shallots. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and bay leaf and sauté for 10 minutes, or until the liquid disappears.
- Add cream and stock and bring to a boil. Quickly reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water and add to the soup. Continue to simmer 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Correct seasoning to taste.
Serve in warm bowls. Sprinkle with minced parsley.
I love dry sherry with mushroom soup, just a small measure of one of Emilio Lustau’s dry Oloroso’s or Dry Sack, lightly chilled.