BORDELAISE SAUCE Recipe
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeOlive oil
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightShallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 2 2Cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightBeef scraps
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeBlack peppercorns, toasted and cracked
- 1 1 1Sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumeSherry vinegar
- 1 1 1Bottle red wine (750 ml)
- 2 2 2cups CUP_USVolumePort wine
- 1 1/4 1.25 1.25cups CUP_USVolumeVeal demi stock
- 8 8 8cups CUP_USVolumeChicken stock
- 6 6 6ounces OUNCE_USVolumeUnsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Bordelaise Sauce Recipe
- Combine the olive oil, shallots, garlic, beef scraps and peppercorns in a medium saucepan over medium high heat, and caramelize until all the natural sugars are released.
- Add the thyme and sherry vinegar, and cook until it just about disappears.
- Add the red wine and port wine and reduce until the mixture takes on a syrupy consistency.
- Add the veal demi and chicken stock, and simmer until this reduced to about 3/4 of the original volume.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter until it is totally emulsified into the sauce base
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Reserve.