POSTRIO'S GOLDEN LENTIL SOUP WITH LAMB MEATBALLS Recipe
- 5 5 5cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeolive oil
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumechopped red onion
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumediced carrot
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeturmeric
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumeground cumin
- 1/2 .5 .5celery stalk
- 1 1 1branch fresh parsley
- 1 1 1branch fresh thyme
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightgolden lentils (or regular lentils, if not available)
- 10 10 10cups CUP_USVolumeheated chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumefresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumemilk
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightground lamb
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeblanched almonds, toasted and ground
- 1/3 .33 .33cup CUP_USVolumechopped onion
- 1/3 .33 .33cup CUP_USVolumeraisins, coarsely chopped
- 1 1 1egg, lightly beaten
- 3 3 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumechopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumechopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 .25 .25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumechili pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeolive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumeplain yogurt
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumechopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumelemon zest
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumefresh lemon juice
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumehoney
- Pinch salt
Instructions for Postrio's Golden Lentil Soup with Lamb Meatballs Recipe
- Prepare the soup: In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, turmeric, and cumin and sauté over high heat until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make a bouquet garni by tying together the celery, parsley, and thyme and add to pan. Stir in the lentils and the chicken stock, season lightly with salt, pepper, and chili flakes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Skim as necessary.
- Prepare the meatballs as soup is cooking: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, soak bread crumbs in milk. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the lamb, almonds, soaked bread crumbs, onion, raisins, egg, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and chili pepper flakes. Season meat lightly with salt and pepper. Rub oil into the palm of both hands and form meat mixture into 40 golf ball-size meatballs, each approximately 1-inch in diameter and place on a platter sprinkled with olive oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet or sauté pan. Arrange the meatballs in 1 layer in the pan, quickly sear meatballs over high heat, and then place in the oven. Cook until the meatballs are well browned and firm to the touch, turning to brown all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Prepare the garnish: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Remove the celery bouquet from the soup pot. With an immersion blender, lightly blend soup (keep it a little chunky) and correct seasoning to taste. You may also use a standard blender by first transferring 2/3 of the soup to a blender* and blending until desired consistency and returning to the saucepan to warm.
- Ladle soup into 8 or 10 soup bowls and add the meatballs. Garnish with the yogurt mixture and serve immediately.
- *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth or desired consistency.