CRANBERRY CATSUP Recipe
- 1 1 1pound POUNDWeightFresh whole cranberries, rinsed, or frozen whole cranberries
- 1 1 1Small onion, diced
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumeplus 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 .5 .5cup CUP_USVolumeCider vinegar
- Zest of medium orange, chopped fine
- 1 1 1Large garlic clove
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumeSalt
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumePickling spice
Instructions for Cranberry Catsup Recipe
- In a medium stainless-steel or enamel saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until the mixture is thick and almost smooth, 25 to 30 minutes. There is very little liquid, so you must be careful regulate the heat and stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- Puree the mixture through a food mill set over a nonreactive bowl. Cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
This simple recipe from Adventures in the Kitchen (see My Books) makes an ideal alternative to the traditional holiday cranberry sauce. You can easily prepare it a day before the big feast, and double or triple it for a large gathering.