LEMON AIOLI Recipe
- 2 2 2Raw extra-large egg yolks (see Note)
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeDijon mustard
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeRoasted Whole Garlic (see "Sauces & Dressings")
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/200000 1.5 to 2 1.5 to 2cups CUP_USVolumeOlive oil/canola blend
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeLemon zest
- 2 2 2teaspoons TEASPOON_USVolumeChopped thyme
- White pepper
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine the egg yolks, mustard, and roasted garlic and process until smooth. Add the lemon juice and pulse to combine.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the oil until it a thick, creamy emulsion forms. Add the lemon zest and thyme and pulse to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Here's a zesty variation on the classic French garlic mayonnaise. If you have health concerns about making mayonnaise from raw eggs, consider this statement from the American Egg Board: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of foodborne illness. Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell." Alternatively, start with about 1 1/2 cups of good-quality bottled mayonnaise and blend into it the mustard, garlic, lemon juice and zest, and thyme.