OVEN-DRIED TOMATOES Recipe
- 2 2 2pounds POUNDWeightMedium Roma tomatoes (about 12)
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumeExtra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 1 1teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeMinced fresh thyme leaves
- 6 6 6Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeKosher salt
- 1/4 .25 .25teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeFreshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumeSugar
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In pot of boiling water, blanch tomatoes. Drain and refresh in ice water. Drain, peel, core, cut into quarters and remove seeds.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and arrange the tomato quarters on the tray, cut side down. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Sprinkle with thyme and garlic. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and sugar and sprinkle evenly over the tomatoes.
- Bake until tomatoes begin to shrivel, about 1 hour. When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, transfer to a container. Pour remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil over and cover the container. Refrigerate and use as needed.
Unlike sun-dried tomatoes, these have a much sweeter and natural tomato flavor. Use them with pasta, fish, meats or poultry. For the best and tastiest results these should be prepared when tomatoes are in their prime. The recipe can be doubled or tripled if you desire. The tomatoes will keep 2 to 3 days, refrigerated, in a covered container.