ALMOND PATE SUCRE Recipe
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumewhole unblanched almonds
- 3 1/3 3.33 3.33cups CUP_USVolumesifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 .75 .75pound POUNDWeight(1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1 1cup CUP_USVolumesugar
- 1 1 1egg
- 1/2 .5 .5teaspoon TEASPOON_USVolumelemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Leave them at room temperature to cool. Put the almonds in a food processor fitted with the stainless-steel blade and pulse the machine until they are coarsely ground, taking care not to overgrind them. Transfer the almonds to a medium bowl and stir them together with the flour. Set aside.
In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and lemon zest just until blended. Add the flour-nut mixture and continue beating just until combined. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disc and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until needed.
Makes about 2 1/4 pounds
Toasted almonds add rich flavor and texture to this sweet pastry dough, which you can use for tarts and pies in place of regular sugar dough. You can make extra, if you like, and store individual portions well-wrapped in the freezer, defrosting it in the refrigerator before using.