LEMON GRANITA Recipe
- 6 6 6lemons, washed
- 4 4 4cups CUP_USVolumewater
- Sugar, to taste
- 3 3 3sprigs thyme
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumelimoncello
Instructions for Lemon Granita Recipe
- Cut off the top 1/4 of the lemons and shave a small slice off the bottom so it stands easily.
- Using a grapefruit knife, carefully cut out the flesh of the lemons, leaving the bottom intact, and place them in a strainer set over a bowl. Stand the lemons shells on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer and freeze until solid.
- Press the flesh of the lemons through the strainer to extract all of the juice, yielding about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice. Add the water and stir in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is of desired sweetness. Add the thyme and limoncello and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and pour into a shallow roasting pan or baking dish, keeping the liquid no more than 1-inch deep. Freeze the mixture for 1 hour and remove from the freezer. Scrape the ice with 2 forks to break up ice into a light snowy texture. Return to the freezer and freeze until solid, about 2 to 3 hours, scraping with forks every hour or so.
- When the granita is frozen, scoop it into the frozen lemon shells and serve immediately.