ORANGE GRANITA Recipe
- 6 6 6oranges
- 4 4 4cups CUP_USVolumefreshly squeezed orange juice
- Sugar, to taste
- 3 3 3sprigs basil
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeorange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
Instructions for Orange Granita Recipe
- Cut off the top 1/4 of the oranges and shave a small slice off the bottom so it stands easily.
- Using a grapefruit knife, carefully cut out the flesh of the oranges, leaving the bottom intact, and place them in a strainer set over a bowl. Stand the orange shells on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer and freeze until solid.
- Press the flesh of the oranges through the strainer to extract all of the juice, yielding about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of orange juice. Add the extra 4 cups orange juice and stir in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is of desired sweetness. Add the basil and orange-flavored liqueur and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and pour into a shallow roasting pan or baking dish, keeping the liquid no more than 1-inch deep. Freeze the mixture for 1 hour and remove from the freezer. Scrape the ice with 2 forks to break up ice into a light snowy texture. Return to the freezer and freeze until solid, about 2 to 3 hours, scraping with forks every hour or so.
- When the granita is frozen, scoop it into the orange shells and serve immediately.