PECAN PIE Recipe
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumelight corn syrup
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumesugar
- 3/4 .75 .75cup CUP_USVolumelight brown sugar
- 4 4 4eggs
- 2 2 2egg yolks
- 3 3 3tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeunsalted butter
- 1/2 .5 .5recipe Sugar Dough (see separate recipe)
- 1 1/2 1.5 1.5cups CUP_USVolumepecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast the pecans, shaking frequently, for about 7 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
- Place the corn syrup, sugars, eggs, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Beat well.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat until it turns brown and has as nutty aroma. Stir it into the corn syrup mixture.
- Line a 10-inch tart pan with the Sugar Dough. Arrange the pecan halves in the bottom of the shell. Ladle the filling over the pecans.
Bake the tart for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool at room temperature.
Makes one 10-inch tart, to serve 6-8
This is an American classic, but one that requires special attention to avoid cloying sweetness or a soggy crust. I like to toast the pecans before combining them with the other ingredients. And a moderate oven works better than a hot one.