SALZBURGER NOCKERLIN Recipe
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumesugar
- 12 12 12ounces OUNCE_USVolumefresh raspberries (about 2 baskets)
- 1/4 .25 .25cup CUP_USVolumefresh orange juice
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumefresh lemon juice
- 7 7 7ounces OUNCE_USVolumesugar
- 1 1 1recipe Raspberry Jam, heated
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumetapioca flour, sifted
- 4 4 4egg yolks
- 2 2 2tablespoons TABLESPOON_USVolumeGrand Marnier
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumeorange zest, finely minced
- 1 1 1tablespoon TABLESPOON_USVolumelemon zest, finely minced
- 8 8 8egg whites
- Make the raspberry jam. In a small sauté pan, combine 6 ounces of raspberries, sugar, orange juice and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes, whisking vigorously to break apart the raspberries. The mixture should resemble a loose jam. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 6 ounces of raspberries, stirring gently until well coated. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour the warm raspberry jam into a 7 by 11-inch baking dish. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together 1 ounce of sugar and tapioca flour. Add the egg yolks, Grand Marnier, orange zest and lemon zest. Whisk until light in color.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, beat together the egg whites and 1 ounce of sugar to soft peaks. Add the remaining 5 ounces of sugar in a slow, steady stream and continue to whip to stiff peaks.
- Stir 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture to blend. Fold in the remaining meringue and continue to gently mix until well blended.
- Spoon into 3 equal mounds over the Raspberry Jam, shaping to resemble the 3 mountains of Salzburg. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden and risen like a souffle. Serve immediately with extra raspberry jam and fresh whipped cream or crème Anglaise.
Salzburg is a wonderful town on the Bavarian Border famous for its small hills called 'Nockerln'. This dish celebrates the hills of Salzburg with its hills of heaped Meringue. It’s rich, indulgent and utterly delicious. This is a true Austrian dessert that brings back memories of good times and loved ones. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.